Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Me Made May 2016

So here we are in May and I am taking part in the Me-Made-May challenge again. Like last year, I am promising to wear at least one home made piece of clothing every day throughout the month. It should be easier than last year as I have more clothes to chose from but I am hoping it will highlight those that are most useful, and also those that rarely get worn and why. May is a good month for this as the variable weather gives me a good chance to try all types of clothing. So far this month we've had heavy rain, hailstones, cold winds and bright sunshine!
I shall try to record each day's outfit mainly as a reminder to me, but so far the lighting has not been great when I've taken the photos so the quality is a bit rubbish. It also give me a chance to catch up on recording some outfits which I've made in the last couple of months but have been too lazy to blog about!

Day 1
A simple tunic in a ponte style fabric - very comfy to wear but the fabric is stating to bobble a bit. Worn with my newly knitted wrist warmers which are based on the Little Cotton Rabbits pattern. I love these - they really keep you warm without the bother of a cardigan. I've already made a second pair and more are planned!

Day 2

One of my most worn makes - the pattern is New Look 6340 and I have made three versions so far and will probably make more! I love the simple shape and its layering possibilities. Worn with a little scarf knit with one skein of gorgeous Skein Queen - possibly my favourite yarn to knit with. And under a pair of boots were my hot off the needles socks - the yarn is West Yorkshire Spinners and were supposed to be my Christmas knit but they had to wait until April!

Terrible photo of another New Look 6340 - this time with sleeves. This is after a day of work, hence the crumpled look!

Today I'm wearing a hand knit cardi ( I don't wear this very often because the vibrant green is hard to pair with anything other than black). A black linen top which started life as a dress but was hardly worn, so when I needed a black top I just chopped it off and re-hemmed it. And the cropped trousers were my first attempt at making trousers - they were cast aside as disastrous, but during a tidy up I found them crumpled up and decided to see if I could salvage them. I cropped the leg length and to my surprise found them quite wearable!

On a more artistic note, I've had a clear out and tidy up of the studio and in a bid to be more organised for this year's Frome Open Studios in July I have started a sequence of linocuts. I have two completed and two more nearing completion. Next up is the fun part which is experimenting with hand colouring some of the prints. This doesn't always work out but the joy of printmaking is that if it doesn't go according to plan you've always got more of the original image.